Paramedic Job Description and Characteristics
A paramedic functions as the most extensively trained primary care provider in the pre-hospital setting. The paramedic is responsible for all aspects of care provided to the sick and injured. The paramedic provides both basic and advanced life support, including comprehensive patient assessment, invasive airway management, cardiac monitoring and administration of medications. The paramedic is frequently in a leadership role working with an AEMT serving as a partner. The paramedic is responsible for verbal communication with the patient, their partner, and the receiving medical personnel. Paramedics’ complete extensive written documentation on patient condition and treatment provided, and must understand all applicable legal, moral and ethical issues surrounding emergency medical service. The paramedic must be dedicated to continued learning through continuing education and maintenance of licensures and certifications.
Key Skills an effective paramedic must possess;
- The paramedic must be a confident leader who can accept the challenge and high degree of responsibility entailed in this position.
- Have excellent judgment, be able to prioritize decisions and act quickly in the best interest of the patient.
- Function independently at an optimum level in a non-structured environment that is constantly changing.
- The paramedic must be able to remain calm while working in difficult and stressful situations, and stay focused while assuming the leadership role inherent in carrying out the functions of the position. Good judgment is essential in directing other team members to assist as needed, along with advanced knowledge, technical skills.
- The paramedic must possess excellent verbal communication skills and be able to follow orders with exactness from their supervisors.
- The paramedic must trust their training and skills and be capable of applying them effectively in stressful situations.
1) Paramedic Training and Certification for Southern Nevada or Nationally certified
2) Certification from the Southern Nevada Health District
*-All paramedic applicants are subjected to a pre-employment test, physical, drug screening, and MVR examination.