• Always use fireworks outdoors and have some buckets of water placed nearby where you can soak discharged fireworks.
  • Place fireworks on a flat, hard surface like a parking lot in a clear area away from buildings, vehicles and dry brush.
  • Have a pre-connected garden hose handy in case of fire.
  • Never carry fireworks in your pocket or shoot them into metal or class containers.
  • Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
  • If your pets are afraid of fireworks, keep them indoors.
  • Alcohol and fireworks do not mix – save your alcohol for after the show.


  • A responsible adult should supervise all firework activities. Keep children and pets a safe distance away from fireworks.
  • Kids should never play with fireworks. Even sparklers can be dangerous – they can get hot enough to catch clothes on fire or cause skin burns.
  • Light one firework at a time and quickly move away. Coordinate lighting the items so that everyone in your group anticipates when they will be set off and is not surprised.
  • If an item fails to light, keep bystanders away from it for several minutes. (Sometimes a fuse malfunctions enough to slow the ignition time down, but it ignites seconds later.)
  • If a firework malfunctions, catches on fire, or lands somewhere it shouldn’t, make sure someone with a water supply can get to it and put it out.
  • If someone’s clothes catch on fire, help them to stop, drop and roll. Any burns should be treated with cool water and gauze. If the burn blisters, seek medical help.


  • Place discharged fireworks into a bucket of water overnight to make certain they do not re-ignite. Make sure there are no remaining sparks, embers or heated debris that could cause something to ignite later.
  • Clean up litter left behind from fireworks.

For more information, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau: (702) 455-7316.